Saturday, November 1, 2008

Facts about Job

A saturday and me thinking about job ................ wow amazing!!



In 5+ years of my job 1 thing that I have learnt, understood and believed is that there is a personal life and a professional life ............... give ur 100% in each ................ dont mix .............. once ur out of office, u r in ur personal life .............

as one of my ex-boss used to ask me ................. when u say something as urgent, do you really mean it? If you do then not everything can be urgent.



Point is that in our history of professional lives have we ever gathered the maturity of understanding that un-necessary pressure would not yield result.

Typical syndromes that I have noticed:
- Not delegating work
- Not trusting your team after delegation
- Pressing Panic button even if there is no need
- Interfering even after delegating the work
- not waiting for the deadline but to keep checking on things even in between for a delegated work
- always being pain in the A**

I have had worked with about 5 managers till date and this blog has inputs from all of them (right!!)

A manager used to teach me on goof-ups ............ what happened if there is a goof-up? maximum what will happen? you may looseur job. Even then what? You can always find another job. You are not dead. So dont take tension and pressure.
This has made me learn one thing ............. what worst can happen if things go wrong? you always have an option to press the restart button.
This one thought gives you a lot of patience of letting things happen at their right pace and also ensure that you dont stretch stuff too much.

Another thing that my job role (sales) has made me learn is that everyone on this earth at everytime is actually doing sales ................ sales of material, service, thought, emotion, perception, perspective etc. etc.

coming back to the topic of job related syndromes ............... m sure all of us somewhere feel during our working hours that ............. "whats the hurry dude" .............. cant this wait?? i.e. when u know that things can wait ................ pressing panic button when it is not needed ............

I believe that few people in every organisation some how dont grow-up ............. though everyone in their childhood have read/heard story of the old lady and her hoax call for villagers even when wolves were not there .................. just to refresh, the villagers did not turn up when the wolves actually came in.

People with low maturity forget that when everything is escalation then nothing is, when everything is in panic then nothing is .............
People with various years of experience on their CVs miss out on this basic fact of life ............

dont you think so?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

this one is awesome....looking like coming straight from the heart....flow of emotions is breathtaking.....

Anonymous said...

Nicely written !

Anonymous said...

disagree with every one is selling something all the time .... may be that is what you do .... but i dont think you should generalize ....

Sambit said...

isnt it the young boy and not the old lady calling the hoax (now no pun intended)

Ritwik Bisaria said...

Dear Anonymous ........ thats my view. In case u feel something different, please do let me know. I would love to understand a different view on this.

Ritwik Bisaria said...

Sambit mishra .......... the Emglish version had the boy in it .......... unfortunately, I come from a small town where we had more of Hindi in our blood ......... so bharat maata ki jai or ye katha us boodhi aurat ke liye hi thi ;-)

Anonymous said...

correct.. just the way it was your view... respect the fact that the above was my view.... and by expressing my view I believe i did let you know about "something different part".... also i am in no way trying to prove any point here.. just expressed my view.... i am sure you will be knowledgable enuf to appreciate it .... or may be you are not... but then you have your view....

Ritwik Bisaria said...

cool down anonymous ......... looks like you are angry :-)

by the way ........... i think i know who is this!! probably my flatmate from HYD and BLR!!

Anonymous said...

dude think harder....

Swapnil said...

interesting - when everything is in panic, nothing is - absolutely true and it reminded me of a particular person at my workplace too :)

Ritwik Bisaria said...

who swap??

anonymous ............ some efforts from ur side too :-)

Ritwik Bisaria said...

By the way anonymous ......... i hope you would understand that every sales does not necessarily include any commercial transaction!!
It is not about money only, honey!!

Anonymous said...

Bisaria I agree with you on the fact "about some people dont grow up"...good to see u have realised it.By the way i know how u "sold" things in Sify.and the culture u had...politics and more politics...pls note dude that just talking away without having knowledge about a topic will make u look like a fool....ppl around u may not say it on ur face but thats how most of them feel...

Ritwik Bisaria said...

yeah right ........ someone needs to get their figures correct!!
Right from Sify performance to customer's feedback to Colleauges relationships!!
Politics?? If you can explain to me what you understand of this word, it could help me know if I actually did it.
Looks like anonymous is real jealous of me!! :-D