Sunday, November 30, 2008

Mumbai was rocked!!

I am sure there are so many blogs about Mumbai attacks but what I am writing here is something slightly different.

All of us are aware on what happened in Mumbai few days back.

I was travelling outside India for few Business meetings and unfortunately, my all meetings with my customers started with the topic of "MUMBAI". Unfortunate not because of I was ashamed of what is happening in India but because my mind was not letting me talk happily to the customers and still I was there doing business meetings.

About 5 months back whenever India used to have terrorist attacks, I used to feel bad about the attack as any Indian and used to think for a moment about those who lost there lives and then used to immediately call my known people in that area / city and check about their whereabouts!!
After all this, for me it was just a news and probably consumed about 20 minutes of time on that day only.

But then, something happened that changed my process of how I take news like these.

One day I was driving back from office and as usual was listening to the FM radio.
The hostess that day was talking to callers. The show was getting hosted 5 days after the recent Delhi bomb blasts in Connaught Place.

Everything on the FM calling was going fine till the time a girl called the FM station.
She started her talks with hostess with crying. Then she narrated her story over the radio which was about her acquaintance with the Delhi blasts.
The girl was about to get married and her only friend (girl) was also supposed to get married same date. Both the couples went for shopping in CP on the D-Day and then for sometime, she went with her friend's fiance to a different shop and then booooooooooooom!! the bombs went off and her fiance n her friend died!!
With this narration of her side, the girl was cryin, cryin n cryin!!

I then realised that what was just a news for me, was a complete change of life for someone.
And then I realised that I need to give much much more value to it than just a news and 10 minutes. That is the least that I can do.

Dont think that I am talking some emotional funda!! when you can appreciate Peter Parker realising that "someone else's problem" can be "his problem" when the theif he had left after the fight with bonesaw, shoots his uncle Ben, then why not us!! though we have no intentions to climb on the walls nor have I ever been to a DNA lab of spiders!!

but the point is that do all of us give the due concern to events like this? I dont think so!! I realised that after hearing the story of the girl over radio that day.

I was actually so concerned about what was happening in Mumbai that I got the guts of watching India TV kinds of news channel too outside India.
Though how irrseponsible, therereporting was something that I would talk about later but the point is that I really felt bad about what was happeneing in my country and to our people.
It affected me and so it should to all of us. Thats the least we can do being an Indian.

Then in 1 of my meetings, a customer asked me about Mumbai. The lady had told me earlier that she plans to goto India sometime.
During the meeting I asked her if she is planning to goto India anytime?? She said, "NO".
I felt bad .............. terrorist strikes had ensured that people think twice before coming to our country. I just asked her one thing, "Have you stopped going to US after 9/11?"

She dint say a word after that!!

End of the day, I took Mumbai Terror very seriously. It is happening in the country where I live. That fact makes it great enough to be worried about!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nicely written blog ! But I wud like to comment on the last line where u asked the lady "Have you stopped going to US aftr 9/11 ?"
After 9/11 US has substantially beefed up its security but wat will happen in India , the people will forget , the politicians will say that people of mumbai have a resilient spirit etc etc .... In such a sceniario who wud like 2 come 2 india . More so wen India has been ranked among 20 most dangerous countries ( from tourism point of view )

Ritwik Bisaria said...

Amar, may not be terrorism, US did have virgina tech firing and I am sure there are small small incidents which we sitting in India would never even come to know.
It happens the same way as US people would have never known that Prince had fallen into a water well ;-)
So point is, every country is being attached. There is no doubt!! but we as Indians (representative of our nation outside) should not be doubtful ourselves about wether we should invite tourists to our country or not!!
Someone told me yesterday that US government has asked all travellers to re-think about visiting India. Is this what we as Indians want to hear? Not really.
Did Indian Embassy asked Indians not to go to US or get into any building more than 100 floors after 9/11.
Irony of the situation is that we all feel more bad about 9/11 as compared to Mumbai / Delhi attacks, Akshardham firing etc etc!!

Ritwik Bisaria said...

Anyday ready for gyan sidgu!! :-D

Aditya said...

Are uncle.. Someone has incorrectly put the URL of my blog ... Above comment is not from me .... So .... Please keep me out of this..

Aditya said...

looks like how so ever knowingly/un-knowingly put my blog url has used "name/url" option to do so ....

Aditya said...

Bisu Uncle ... i hope i could clarify over call that that comment what not from me ... i always use my gmail id and not anyother comment option ..
and the person who is using my name .... request you not to do so ....

Ritwik Bisaria said...

Sidgu ........... u need not be worried yaar ............ ur comments and calls are always welcome!! you know that!!

And Mr. Wrong Identity, dont do this!! your comment was nice enough for me to know who actually is this!! :-)

Aditya said...

uncle looks like know who it was .... i will be happy to know the name ....

Ritwik Bisaria said...

sidgu, me also searching.
Not sure who it is!!