Sunday, October 19, 2008

We Indians

As I write this blog, I am definately traveling ........... not showing off (its true!!) but just getting the foundation of the blog some good strength.
I have been visiting East Africa for sometime now but what I found interesting there are Indians (read ........ "roots from India")
In all my trips I have met people with roots from India (not that they are the highest branch of an eucalyptus either) .......

Scene 1:
Me: Sir, you are from India?
Mr. X: NOOOOOOOO (caps here is intentional as the guy is definately annoyed)
Me: My apologies, but your looks are very Indian
Mr. X: May be, is that a problem?
Me: Not at all Sir!!
Mr. X: Then?
Me: Asked just like that.
Mr. X: Though my parents are from India
(So u r??)

Scene 2:
Me: Hi, whats your name?
Miss Y: Its Krisma!!
Me: (smiling) Ohh, it is Karishma?
Miss Y: NOOOO, it is krisma, K-R-I-S-M-A!!
Me: You mean Karishma without the starting "A"?
Miss: Yeah ....... somewhat and IT IS NOT INDIAN

Scene 3:
Me: Hello Sir, are you ROOTS from India?
Mr. Z: Yeah ........ actually we are from her n there, my relatives are there n here .......... (the story goes)
Me: So sir, you call yourself an Indian?
Mr. Z: Not at all ........ I am a Kenya/tanzania/Ugandania - "N"!!

So the point that I have understood is ........ dont call an Indian outside India, an Indian ......... it hurts!!But why?
I always thought that why Indians are so segmeneted in the same country ........ but outside I realised that Indians are much more segregated ........ they are segregated to an extent of just not caste, but even on sirnames from a geography.
My friend in Kenya is about to miss his Diwali in India as he is in Kenya ......... so he asked Mr. Z, sir can I celebrate diwali with you ....... so Mr. Z replied, "We are 250 Patels (from a particular Geography in Northern Gujrat) .......... a small community and we celebrate Diwali between us only (meaning ........ F*** OFF)."Mr. Z was so concrete in his words that if he could have got a call from a hospital, depending on the reason he would have told us, now we are 249/251.It means, a Patel from some other geography of Gujarat, a Patel from ROI (Rest of India), a Hindu from Gujrat, a Hindu from ROI, An Indian from Gujrat, An Indian from ROI ............ no one , absolutely NO ONE is allowed ........ and this is not in India ......... a locality in Nairobi.
People always say ......... distance brings people closer ......... checking facts might help in re-phrasing this.
Not that this blog is to urge all fellow Indians across the globe to behave like brothers and sisters (barring the ones married, going around, targetting) but I AM SURPRISED ......... FOR SURE, I AM.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ritwik,

Very nicely written blog . Its always a treat to read your Post! Absolutely like a Bollywood movie with a lot of masala ! I think you should try your hand at writing a book as well ...

Cheers

A P

Ritwik Bisaria said...

book with dozens of spelling mistakes?? who would read??

:-)

Unknown said...

Ritwik dude, I have to say that your blog is very interesting to read and the topics are kind of matter of fact stuff... Very nice n who cares abt the spelling mistakes .Keep writing ....

PP :)

Ritwik Bisaria said...

Thanks PP

my is more of a travel-o-blog!! :-D

rgds
-Ritwik

Sambit said...

very nicely written blog overall.. articles/travelogues :) are atleast true xperience.. not out of the world things that people rite and keep on exlaining it to other..waise. reagrding this particular post. must say you have met a unique set of people . I had a chance to meet around few gujjus.from nairobi.. and they were attached to the roots.. a sampling error ..so should avoid making deductive logic to it ( my two cents)

Anonymous said...

Honestly put ..english is atrocius,no sense of grammar but what else do u expect from a guy who has never read a book in his whole life.....anyways good effort definitely can compete with the 9th graders

Ritwik Bisaria said...

Hi Anonymous!!
you are Omnipresent!!

Please give me some tutions on English!! I really need them!!

Anonymous said...

You really need one....by the way its "tuition" ....

Ritwik Bisaria said...

Thanks a lot.

BTW ........... how much do you charge?

Anonymous said...

Lesson 1

http://mattluce.com/blog/2008/01/31/definitely-not-definately/

Anonymous said...

Anon
Good one!!!!!!!!!!

Ritwik Bisaria said...

Definately Anon!!
Thanks!!
definitely